Dog control is legislated for in the Control of Dogs Act 1986 and it’s subsequent Amendments and Regulations .
• are dogs that are in a public place and appears unaccompanied by a person.
• or dogs not under effectual control.
• if a stray dog is found by a member of the public , it forthwith must be :
(a) returned to the owner, or
(b) delivered to a dog warden, or
(c) detain the dog and give a notice in writing containing a description of the dog, the name and address of the place where it was found and the address of the place where it is detained to the member in charge at the nearest Garda Station or to the Dog Warden.
It is an offence to allow your dog to foul in a public place under the Litter Pollution Act 1997 ( Section 22 ). You are liable to On-The-Spot fines of €125 for this offence.
( Please note: Dog faeces can contain harmful pathogens including Toxocara Canis which is a worm that may cause blindness in Humans. )
Dog Dirt Causes Disease - Download Scoop the Poop Information Leaflet (77 KB PDF Document)
• all dogs > 4 months of age must have a dog licence.
• it is an annual licence which costs €12.70 per dog or €253.95 for a number of dogs for a specified premises.
• failure to produce evidence of your licence when requested by the Dog Warden may result in an On-The–Spot fine of €30 or prosecution.
• you are disqualified from holding a licence if you are less than 16 years of age or disqualified from keeping a dog.
• dogs in the possession of the Council, ISPCA or Gardai, Guide Dogs for the Blind or dogs imported into the state for less than 30 days are exempt from holding a licence.
Has the power to
• to request your name and address if they suspect you of an offence under the above legislation.
• to enter any premises ( other than a dwelling ) where he/she has reasonable grounds to suspect an offence has been committed under the above legislation.
You are guilty of an offence and can be arrested by a Garda if
• you obstruct a Dog Warden in the course of his/her duties.
• you refuse to give your name or address.
• give a false name and address.